What can I get away with at work?

I wrote a post similar to this on the forum, so let’s hope I can remember it.

For those you who have studied statistics, you may have come across a legendary program called SPSS. A monster of a program designed to keep psychology students away from the horrors of variables and functions. A guidebook to navigate this program is Discovering Statistics Using SPSS by Andy Field. Who is the only person I’ve seen who’s managed to make learning statistics actually enjoyable. For each type of algorithm you read about, Andy gives a real life example of the type of data you might apply. One of the more interest examples he gives is from the 2013 publication by ( Lo, Wong, Leung, Law, & Yip), titledTraumatic rectal perforation by an eel

The paper explains how a Chinese man presented at A&E complaining of chest pains, only after an XRay did they find he had stuck a live eel up his rectal. This got me thinking about other similar medical situations .

This leads us to find publications such as that by Bemelman and Hammacher, which describes itself as " the first reported case of a self induced rectal impalement child by a toy ship" (Paper includes picture if you google it).

I have read a case about MSR stove being removed by a medical team in the states, but I can’t find the publication at the moment.

Anyway, I promised @LorcanBG i’d write about this if I had time at work today. For further reading I suggest this paper on how you can use Xray to find a lot of inserted objects (there’s lot of nice photos). Or thislist of objects kept by the U. .S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

(https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Loshinee_Vasudevan/post/What_are_the_best_ways_to_analyse_data_based_on_Likert_scale_using_SPSS/attachment/5b86c5d23843b0067536d3a4/AS%3A664997302652942%401535559120922/download/%23Discovering+Statistics+Using+SPSS+2013.pdf)

1 Like

While this is not what I was expecting based on that title, I’m pretty sure I cannot get away with clicking on some of those links at work…

I’m a “Medical researcher” in the eyes of the computer scientists…